You ever have those days where you can’t sleep? Sometimes I can predict them, but today I couldn’t.
Ok, ok, I’m up body! I decided to harness that energy and finish cleaning my kitchen as I prepared for my guests to arrive later. When that was done and I still had some energy, I decided to whip up some more picnic treats which will be perfect for our afternoon at Malibu Wines. If you have been yet, it is definitely worth a visit, although it is getting increasingly chaotic.
I decided to complement the Vegan Almond Dip (Bitchin’ Sauce Heat Copycat Recipe) that I made last night with some potato salad. I’ve been trying to do a better job of getting potassium and one medium potato contains approximately 620mg!
This recipe is pretty simple to make! For those who follow the low FODMAP diet, be sure to:
- Use only green onion tops
- Use store-bought garlic infused oil
- Celery is safe and low-FODMAP at 1/4 medium stalk (1/2 a stalk is a yellow light on Monash for Polyols). For reference, 1 cup is approximately 3 stalks, so 1/12 of the recipe would be a low-FODMAP serving size. Alternatively, you can reduce the amount or eliminate the celery altogether.
- Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to dice the eggs, use an egg slicer. I use a basic one like this.
- Can be made vegan buy eliminating the eggs and using vegan mayo.
- You can let the eggs sit for up to 12 minutes, but love the light firmness of pulling them after 10 minutes. Toss in an extra to the pot for a snack!
- If you don’t have relish, you can sub in diced pickles. If you are following the low-FODMAP diet, don’t get garlic pickles if you are in elimination.
- Use celery salt instead of celery seeds and salt.
- 5 medium potatoes (peeled)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup finely sliced celery
- ½ cup sliced green onions (dark green part only)
- ½ cup dill relish
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic oil
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add peeled potatoes and cook until tender but still firm (fork comes out easily), around 15 minutes. Drain, cool, and chop.
- Place eggs in a small pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then cover and remove from heat. Let the eggs stand for about 10 minutes. Remove eggs from pan and place in ice bath or rinse with cold water. Peel the eggs by gently tapping each end on the counter and then rolling the egg back and forth to loosen the shell. Chop the egg with a knife or use an egg slicer.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, green onion, relish, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic oil, celery seed, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together well and refrigerate until chilled to meld the flavors.
You may also like my Vegan Almond Dip (Bitchin’ Sauce Heat Copycat Recipe) or Green Onion Powder recipes.
Inspiration found from this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on the product link and purchase, I’ll receive a small percentage of the sale. I will only link to products I use and recommend.